We are staying in one of the best hostels I've ever been in- wonderful staff, nice showers and big comfortable bunks. No complaints here! We battled the jet lag as long as we could by wandering the city. We first explored nearby Little India which is wonderfully un-Singapore (to borrow the phrase from lonely planet) with crowded shops and cheap eats. I hesitate to use the word dirty, but it's definitely not as sterile as the rest of the city which gives it some character.
We ate lunch at the Tekka hawker center and were overwhelmed at the amount and variety of food offered there. Indian, Chinese, Thai, western, Malay, and probably subcultures of food that I've never even heard of we're crammed into the the area. We opted for a friendly stall selling dumplings and noodles- not a cop out, we're just working our way out of our comfort zone. I also and a delicious creamy mango drink, and they guys had some giant 40s of tiger beers.
We wandered along Dickson road which nick and chuck got a kick out of, then took the MRT to the Singapore flyer- their version of the London eye. Any local would remind you that it's actually bigger than the London eye and don't forget it. ;) it was a spectacular ride and was able to give us a little orientation of the city and a preview of what we were going to see in the next few days.
After that we could no longer fight the exhaustion and headed back to the hostel. What we thought would be a quick nap at around 5:00 turned into tucking into bed for the night. Sadly I missed Anna's arrival but I wouldn't have been much fun if I was awake.
Now I just finished our fab backpackers breakfast and I'm waiting for Anna to get up!! Today we are also going to try to meet up with another ex Uppsala international and I can't wait for the day to get started!



No comments:
Post a Comment