Sunday, February 2, 2014

Day 19- koh Samui

Welcome to Koh Samui! From what I gather from lonely planet and various travel blogs, this island is sort of the OG of tourism to Thailand. Back in the day, it was THE place to go, making the beaches of Thailand begin to become a popular destination. Slowly, people began to discover other islands and popularity began fluctuate. Like trending Bangkok nightclubs, new islands took the stage and older ones were pushed aside. Although koh Samui is no longer the hot spot in the gulf, it still maintains its kitschy tropical paradise charm. Despite the overwhelming number of old and over-tanned white dudes zipping about on scooters and getting rub downs  on the beach, we still very much enjoyed our stay there. 

After a long travel day (we barely made our ferry!! Chuck and Anna: running through ferry terminals and up gangways reminded me of a very special trip to KL haha) we had an afternoon to kill before a dinner and drinks with the group. Three of the girls and I got ourselves a Thai massage on the beach. 

Thai massages go something like this 
1. Wash sand from my feet
2. Lay on stomach and debate silently where to put my arms while the lady puts a towel over my bum
3. Omg she's started right at my butt
4. Omg this has gone on for quite some time- did I say Thai massage or something else?? 
5. Naw it's cool she's on my feet now
6. Ahhh. My back. 
7. OOOO my back!!! 
8. Those needle fingers should be illegal 
9. No wait, I take it back 
10. God bless this country 
11. Lady is stretching my legs over my head. Deciding I should have stuck with yoga. 
12. I didn't even know that my palms were tense
13. Did she just hit me? 
14. *popping sounds of every joint in my body*
15. Nothing feels better than the face/head rubdown 
16. Final streeeeeeeetch
17. 4 days of sore muscles
18. Feeling amazing. 

That evening we had dinner at a great seafood place and drinks at the recommended swing bar. After some informal entertainment from a drunk girl from Kazakstan, some workers from the bar began some fire twirling which was amazing but terrifying. Not the same safety standards as we have In the states but still super cool. 

Nick and I taught the group some improv games that turned into drinking games, and we all planked our way back home. 

***photos coming soon!!***  

No comments:

Post a Comment